- The White Lotus season 3 is in progress, with scripts being finished and casting still pending due to the SAG-AFTRA strike.
- Per creator Mike White, the new season will be longer, bigger, and crazier.
- Season 3 will be filmed in Thailand and will explore themes of death and Eastern religion.
The White Lotus season 3 gets an update from series creator Mike White, who details the progress of the HBO hit. After returning for its second installment late last year, the resort dramedy shifted its narrative. Whereas the initial episodes focused on the class divisions between the vacationers and the staff, the Emmy-nominated White Lotus season 2 spotlighted marital troubles and transactional relationships and introduced a branch of the titular resort in Sicily. It proved to be a successful change, building on the show’s initial popularity and its acclaim with audiences and critics.
In comments to Entertainment Weekly, White gave an update on The White Lotus season 3 while promoting his upcoming animated movie Migration. The show creator mentioned that he’s seriously finishing scripts, adding that there are a lot of roles left to cast considering the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike. White did tease, however, that the show’s third outing would be “longer, bigger, crazier.” Read his full remarks below:
“I’m seriously finishing scripts. Still waiting to be able to cast. If the SAG strike isn’t resolved soon, then yeah, we’d have to push again because the show has a new cast every season, so there’s lots of parts to cast … I’m more than eager to get going.”
“It’s going to be a supersized White Lotus. It’s going to be longer, bigger, crazier. I don’t know what people will think, but I am super excited, so at least for my own barometer, that’s a good thing … I’m super excited about the content of the season.”
White co-wrote Migration, which is scheduled for a U.S. theatrical release on December 22.
What To Expect From The White Lotus Season 3
Although one of the most important parts of The White Lotus remains shrouded in intrigue, which is the show’s casting, some general plot details and one returning character from season 1 have been confirmed. It’s been announced that The White Lotus season 3 (tentatively set for 2025) will be filmed in Thailand. Additionally, the Asia-set installment has been teased as “a satirical and funny look at death and Eastern religion and spirituality.”
Following the eventful White Lotus season 2 finale, there was some speculation about whether the HBO darling could continue the story of breakout character Tanya McQuoid (Jennifer Coolidge) by bringing back Tanya’s assistant, Portia (Haley Lu Richardson), considering how Portia is somewhat aware of the bizarre details surrounding Tanya’s drowning. That has not been verified, but the upcoming episodes will feature a connection to Tanya by welcoming back a familiar face.
Natasha Rothwell will reprise her season 1 role as Belinda. The character had a negative experience with Tanya in the dramedy’s first six episodes, leaving Belinda dismayed and ultimately distant. Once the actors’ strike ends, the question of who will join Rothwell in The White Lotus season 3 cast will be closely watched as the Emmy-winning hit has consistently elevated its ensemble.
The White Lotus
- Release Date:
- Alexandra Daddario, Fred Hechinger, Connie Britton, Murray Bartlett, Sydney Sweeney, Brittany O’Grady, Natasha Rothwell, Jake Lacy, Jennifer Coolidge, Molly Shannon, Steve Zahn, Aubrey Plaza, Theo James, Haley Lu Richardson, Michael Imperioli, F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hollander, Meghann Fahy, Adam DiMarco, Will Sharpe
- Comedy, Drama
- The White Lotus is a sharp social satire following the exploits of various employees and guests at an exclusive Hawaiian resort over the span of one highly transformative week. As darker dynamics emerge each day, this series gradually reveals the complex truths of the seemingly picture-perfect travelers, cheerful hotel employees, and idyllic locale itself. Each season follows a new cast of characters with a greater mystery lying at the center of each new location.
- Story By:
- Mike White
- Mike White
- HBO Max
- Streaming Service:
- Hulu, HBO Max
- Mike White
- Mike White